Any alcohol at all will affect your ability to drive. In Australia, it is an offence to drive while your blood alcohol concentration (BAC) is 0.05 or above. In other words, the legal limit (the limit you must not exceed) is under 0.05. If you are a learner (L-plate), provisional (P-plate) or professional driver (including heavy truck and bus drivers, taxi drivers and drivers of dangerous goods vehicles), the legal limit is zero.
Standard Drink Sizes
Most consumed drinks hold more than 1 standard drink. Be aware of the alcohol content and amount of alcohol you consume in each glass or container.
The following items are number according to the standard drinks they contain. Labels on alcoholic drink containers state the number of Standard Drinks in the container.
Amounts for only 1 Standard Drink
The following amounts are a guide for 1 standard drink based on the alcohol content. These are calculated based on the formula supplied by the Department of Health and Ageing (reference).
Reducing Blood Alcohol Concentration (BAC)
Drinking rule of thumb
Avoid a fine or licence disqualification
- Allow enough time after drinking for your body to process the alcohol and reduce your BAC, or avoid driving all together to be safe.
- Take a taxi, and remember to leave enough money for the ride home after a night out (perhaps keep a few spare notes in another pocket so you won’t spend it). Store the taxi number in your mobile beforehand.
- Stay over at a friends place after drinking, preferably arranging prior to going out.
- Arrange for somebody to pick you up after drinking.
- Eat before or during drinking
- Drink non alcoholic beverages to start or in between
- Don’t eat salty snacks
- Avoid shouts
- Mix your own drinks and try more mix than normal
- Don’t mix drinks
- Don’t top up
- Don’t hold your drink between sips
- Keep track of your drinks – Pot card, Pull rings, bottle tops
- Take enough money for the amount of drinks you intend to have
- Try light alcoholic drinks
- Use coin operated breathalysers if available but be wary!!!!